Thursday, April 8, 2010

A New Goal

Some of you may know that I also have a weight loss blog; there is a link to it on the right side of this page. I haven’t had anything nice to say about my weight loss journey for quite a while, so I have been neglecting it. Bad blogger – bad girl!! But I have a new goal; a new Twinkie on a stick if you will. I have detailed it on the other blog and will keep track of the details over there, but will also post updates here too.

Here is the basic scoop:

I am still working with my therapist on the issues that cause me to run straight to food for comfort; the hard part is that it is basically everything in my life! I have a lot of holes in my heart and soul, and I recognize now that I use food as a kind of spackle to try to fill those holes. Now I just have to work on finding other ways to fill those holes instead of using food. No more donuts as dry wall. It may take a while, but I’ll get there.

So I have decided to change tactics.

One of my nieces sent me an email yesterday that has lit a fire under me for a couple of reasons. Her father, my sister’s ex-brother-in-law, has ALS (better known as Lou Gehrig’s disease), and she is getting people together to be a team for an upcoming ALS walk. We traded a few emails back and forth, and then I got an idea – why not find out when the walk is? If I haven’t moved back to Washington yet, I will do it here in Billings by myself in honor of him.

Turns out the walk is September 26th. I will definitely be back on the west coast by then, so I told my niece to sign me up to be on her team.

It’s a three mile walk. She is going to start training for it with one of my other nieces next week. I am going to have to train on my own, at least until I move, but I am going to start this weekend and the goal is to have some endurance built up by the time I move this summer. Then I can finish my training out there.

So – there you have it. My new goal. I hope that I can really do this; it would be great for my health, my self esteem, my brain, my heart (in every sense), my soul, my karma. Not only will I be benefiting myself, but I can also be a part of helping others as well. I feel like since this goal is not just about ME, but a part of something bigger than me that is for the benefit of others, that it is something that I will actually follow through on.

And if that is what it takes, then Bring. It. On.

TTFN.

1 comment:

Comments totally rock my world - please leave one!