Saturday, March 21, 2015

Mojo Monday #389

Woo hoo! I did another challenge! And this time, I'm posting more than an hour before it closes.

Here is the sketch:
And here is my interpretation:



Gaahhh!! I just noticed the "Your text here" thingy from iPiccy - how the heck did I miss that? Please ignore. Sheesh.

And here is the inside:


Sorry for the picture quality; it isn't too bad, but the best light in the house today is in the bathroom! The card is on the window sill; fortunately I was able to crop out all the dead flies.

I'm only sort of happy with this card; the sentiment is crooked for starters. The tan paper is not what I wanted to use; I was sure (and I still am) that I had some cream paper in my stash - this is more of a tan and it's a little too dark to coordinate with the patterned paper. 

I made this a 6" x 6" card. (I'm thinking about doing this exact same card over again, but in the classic A2 size.) I switched the side that the diamond and flower area are on to hide a boo-boo I made with the ribbon. I'm still learning about embellishments; I don't quite have the knack for knowing what type, how many, etc. to put on my cards. Since I'm not a huge user of flowers, I used several little paper ones I've had in my stash for years in lieu of the one large one; I also used some sequins, which is waaaaay out of my comfort zone!

I'd also like to enter this card in Darnell Knauss's NBUS (never before used schtuff) challenge. She left me the nicest comment on my last post; please check out her blog - she is super talented and super funny! Pretty much everything on the card is a NBUS, but my favorite is the DP. Isn't it gorgeous? I have been dying to use it ever since it arrived in my PO box!

Well, that's it for now. I am very happy that I had a chance to do something crafty this weekend. I read (and follow) tons of blogs, look at cards on Pinterest, and watch videos on YouTube. and it makes me crazy that I can't carve out more time to make things right now. I think about them when I'm at work, while I'm driving, and I even dream about them! But when it comes time to actually make something, I seem to freeze up. I think I'm afraid of wasting paper and other things by making something that I hate, or that just doesn't work. I also sometimes feel intimidated by all the other crafters out there that are so much better than I am; but I am determined to get over that. I just need to practice, and I know that others that are tops in the crafting world make mistakes or wind up with stuff they aren't happy with but they keep going. And can I just say how AWESOME the crafting community is? Everyone is so encouraging and positive; I have never seen a mean or cutting comment left for someone. I really appreciate that. It can be hard to put yourself out there, especially if it is something you made yourself and you are proud of it.

Here is what I used to make the card. Thanks for taking the time to stop by - I appreciate it! 
  • Card base: some cool lavender stock I had in my stash
  • Designer paper: Docrafts Papermania Capsule collection - French Lavender 8x8 paper pad
  • Yucky tan paper: Recollections Neutral paper pack
  • Ribbon: Tempo Celebrate It - purchased at Michael's
  • Sentiment: Hampton Art Jillibean Soup clear stamps - Handwritten Sentiments
  • Small paper flowers: EK Success Jolee's By You - have had these for a million years
  • Sequins: Doodlebug Design rainbow assortment pack - the bottles are teeny but you get about a billion sequins in each bottle!
  • Paper punch used inside the card: The Paper Studio flower chain border punch

TTFN!


3 comments:

  1. Your card is lovely! It is a nice design and the paper is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is very nice.
    I also make cards in my dreams...Must mean that I am addicted. smile

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to be just fine, Heather! We all have nerves and even now, I still feel insecure when I hit that "publish" button. I think a little of that is good to have or, otherwise, you would be arrogant, you know.

    One thing you might try is stamping your idea on scratch paper. I use copier paper from trash that I brought home from work for years. Do you work in an office or know someone who does? Then you can see if it will work w/o wasting product.

    Knowing where to put the little design elements just come with time and, like you say, practice. One tip, for instance, that you'll see throughout your surfing is the "rule of three" when it comes to adding bling. It's not in stone, of course, but generally a good idea. Sometimes I'm a rebel, like one of the cards I just posted where I put on five! GASP!

    Finally, try spending less time gandering about and more time hitting the ink, you know? We all get sucked into it, but it does kill a lot of crafting time. Having said that, I don't mean you should skip coming to my blog, of course, lol!!

    Oh, wait, one more thing. Try not to put yourself down too much in your text. If you point out all the flaws, it influences the reader. Post your card on there like you meant for it to be this way or that way. A little self-deprecating and teasing is good, but WE will feel good about your card if YOU feel good about your card!

    How about me, huh? I hope that didn't come across as Little Miss Know-It-All! I just like helping.

    Now, about your card. I think you did a great take on the sketch! And I agree with you, that paper is so lovely! You have allowed it to really be a star!! I appreciate that you entered it in my NBUS Challenge #4!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

Comments totally rock my world - please leave one!